Member Principles & Commitments
The following beliefs guide Sedera’s Medical Cost Sharing Community and form a common ethical basis for our Community. All Sedera Members must agree with and attest to the following beliefs, principles, and commitments.
Sedera MCS Community Principles of Membership
Membership in the Sedera Medical Cost Sharing Community requires agreeing to all of the requirements of this section as well as the completing the online enrollment flow. As long as Members continue to meet these requirements and fulfill all membership duties as determined by the Board of Directors, their membership will continue. If at any time a Member no longer meets all these membership requirements, they must notify Sedera immediately, and their Sedera MCS Community membership and all privileges will cease, unless otherwise indicated. While Member health status has no effect on eligibility for membership, there are limitations on the sharing of Needs for some conditions that existed prior to the membership effective date. See Sections 6-9 for a detailed list of shareable and non-shareable Needs.
Sedera Ethical Beliefs & Principles
- I have read and understand the Sedera membership Guidelines and am confirming that all of my answers in this application process are true and accurate and indicate my commitment to abide by the membership Guidelines.
- I understand and acknowledge that membership in the Sedera Medical Cost Sharing Community is not insurance and is not issued or offered by an insurance entity and while every effort will be made to facilitate the sharing of a Member’s medical needs, the Sedera Medical Cost Sharing Community, Sedera, Inc. and their partners and affiliates cannot and do not guarantee payment of any medical expenses.
- I agree to submit to mediation following subsequent binding arbitration, if needed, for any instance of a dispute with Sedera Medical Cost Sharing Community, Sedera, Inc., or their affiliates as more fully outlined in Section 12 of the membership Guidelines. I hereby knowingly, voluntarily, and intelligently waive any right to trial by jury to the fullest extent permitted by law.
- I agree to refrain from using any form of illegal substances. I understand that medical needs caused by, or due to, the act of performing any illegal or unlawful activity will not be shareable with the Sedera Medical Cost Sharing Community.
- As the head of household, I accept the responsibility to notify, educate and inform all persons listed on my application concerning their participation in the Sedera Medical Cost Sharing Community as well as their responsibilities, their obligation to the community and the basic constructs for sharing needs. (If applicable).
- I understand that my Monthly Member Contribution includes an Administrative Fee, a Member Services Fee, the Member Share amount, the Bank Maintenance Fee and any additional services I choose to purchase along with my medical cost sharing membership. (See the membership Guidelines for more details regarding the fee structure).
- I understand that an active Medical Cost Sharing Account is a requirement for membership in the Sedera MCS Community. I also commit to keeping my Medical Cost Sharing Account open for one year after termination of my household’s membership to allow for the continued sharing of Needs amongst the community Members. I understand that the Bank Maintenance Fee will continue to be withdrawn from my Medical Cost Sharing Account during this one year period.
- I fully acknowledge and authorize that my Employer will direct funds from my paycheck (List-Bill) to deposit into my Medical Cost Sharing Account that I open at Austin Capital Bank and agree to cooperate and sign all required documents to enable this List-Bill process. I further authorize and grant Sedera and/or is partners the authority and rights to help implement this List-Bill process on my behalf.
- I fully authorize, the Sedera MCS Community and its partners banking access to the Medical Cost Sharing Account that I open at Austin Capital Bank and grant the Sedera MCS Community and its partners, full authority to debit and/or credit to my Medical Cost Sharing Account at Austin Capital Bank. I also agree to keep this authorization in effect for one year after termination of my household’s membership to allow for continued sharing of Needs among community Members.
- I represent and warrant that I am legally competent to execute these commitments and that I have full authority to execute these commitments on behalf of all members of my household.
- I understand that I am joining a community of moral, ethical, health-conscious people who are voluntarily sharing each other’s medical expenses.
- I understand that I am a cash-pay patient for medical services and that seeking fair pricing for my medical services benefits both me and the Community.
- I commit to choosing medical professionals and hospitals based on transparent and good prices, am willing to travel to get the best value for elective procedures, select doctors and facilities that publish and charge fair and reasonable prices, and actively participate with Sedera on behalf of the community to negotiate down overpriced medical bills that my household may occur.
- I understand that the Sedera MCS Community, by and of itself does not make any representations that it satisfies any federal or state law requirements for healthcare coverage or insurance.
- I understand that other obligated insurance, government entities or other responsible parties are always considered primary payors and commit to exhausting these primary payors before submitting a potentially shareable Need to the Sedera MCS Commmunity.
- I understand that my membership continues year to year unless I notify the Sedera MCS Community of my desire to terminate my membership.
- I understand that I can notify the Sedera MCS Community of my desire to terminate membership at any time, however termination occurs at midnight on the last day of the billing cycle in which I notify Sedera.
Needs Sharing Commitments
- MI understand that all Members who have joined within a primary Member’s account will have access to information for any other Members within the same account. This information includes all pending and past medical needs and other personal information.
- I understand that no one is denied membership based on Pre-existing Medical Conditions, but any conditions that existed prior to membership would not be shareable with the community until certain membership longevity requirements are met.
- I understand that Sedera Members retain complete autonomy with regard to how they spend their own money on medical care. However, Sedera Members know that when they are asking for others to share their expenses, the community will decide what it will share according to Sharing Guidelines. Sedera Members do not expect the community to share the costs of poorly proven therapies and testing, overly expensive practitioners or hospitals.
- I commit to fully cooperating with the Sedera MCS Community and its partners to determine whether submitted Needs are shareable and/or the extent to which submitted needs are shareable by obtaining requested documents, signing necessary releases, and communicating with my Needs Coordinator.
- I commit to act with honor and integrity when interacting with the Sedera MCS Community, and understand that presenting a falsified Need, using deceptive practices, or participating in another Member’s misuse of trust will result in termination of my household’s membership.
- I understand that there is a three-step internal appeals process outlined in the Membership Guidelines.
- I understand that my contributions are made monthly in advance of the membership service month into my household’s Medical Cost Sharing Account and grant the Sedera MCS Community and its partners full authority to credit and/or debit from my household’s Medical Cost Sharing Account.
- I further understand that since my contributions are made in advance of the membership service month and withdrawn from my paycheck by my employer pursuant to a List-Bill agreement, therefore all requested changes to and/or cancellations of my membership will occur on the next billing cycle. I understand that I am responsible for managing my Sedera membership according to the billing cycle timelines and my employer’s internal policies related to List-Bill or otherwise and that once funds have been deposited into my Medical Cost Sharing Account they cannot be adjusted.
WARNING: THE SEDERA MEDICAL COST SHARING COMMUNITY AND/OR SEDERA, INC. ARE NOT INSURANCE COMPANIES AND THE SEDERA MEDICAL COST SHARING MEMBERSHIP IS NOT ISSUED OR OFFERED BY AN INSURANCE COMPANY. WHETHER A MEMBER/HOUSEHOLD CHOOSES TO SEND MONETARY ASSISTANCE TO YOU AND/OR YOUR HOUSEHOLD TO HELP WITH YOUR MEDICAL EXPENSES WILL BE TOTALLY VOLUNTARY AND NEITHER YOU NOR THE SEDERA MEDICAL COST SHARING COMMUNITY AND/OR SEDERA, INC. HAS ANY RIGHT TO COMPEL PAYMENT OF MEDICAL COST SHARING COSTS FROM ANY MEMBER. THE SEDERA MEMBERSHIP IS NOT AND SHOULD NEVER BE CONSIDERED TO BE OR TO BE LIKE A GROUP INSURANCE POLICY OR AN INDIVIDUAL INSURANCE POLICY.
WHETHER YOU RECEIVE ANY MONEY FOR MEDICAL EXPENSES, OR WHETHER OR NOT THIS MEMBERSHIP CONTINUES TO OPERATE, YOU AS THE MEMBER WILL ALWAYS REMAIN LIABLE FOR YOUR UNPAID MEDICAL EXPENSES AND DO NOT HAVE ANY LEGAL RIGHT TO SEEK REIMBURSEMENT OR INDEMNIFICATION FOR ANY SUCH EXPENSES FROM THE SEDERA MEDICAL COST SHARING COMMUNITY AND/OR SEDERA, INC. OR ANY OTHER MEMBER OR HOUSEHOLD. THIS IS NOT A LEGALLY BINDING AGREEMENT TO REIMBURSE OR INDEMNIFY YOU FOR THE MEDICAL EXPENSES YOU INCUR, BUT IS AN OPPORTUNITY FOR YOU TO ASSIST OTHER MEMBERS IN NEED, AND WHEN YOU ARE IN NEED, TO PRESENT YOUR MEDICAL BILLS TO OTHER MEMBERS AND HOUSEHOLDS AS OUTLINED IN THESE GUIDELINES. THE FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE YOU MAY RECEIVE WILL COME FROM OTHER MEMBERS AND/OR HOUSEHOLDS, AND NOT FROM THE SEDERA MEDICAL COST SHARING COMMUNITY AND/OR SEDERA, INC.
PLEASE REFER TO STATE SPECIFIC DISCLAIMERS.
WARNING: SEDERA, INC. IS NOT AN INSURANCE COMPANY AND THE SEDERA MEDICAL COST SHARING MEMBERSHIP IS NOT ISSUED OR OFFERED BY AN INSURANCE COMPANY. WHILE EVERY EFFORT IS MADE TO MEET MEMBER’S MEDICAL NEEDS, SEDERA, INC. AND THE SEDERA MEDICAL COST SHARING COMMUNITY DO NOT GUARANTEE PAYMENT OF ANY MEDICAL EXPENSE.